Smarter Balanced Assessments
What is Smarter Balanced?
Oregon is part of a team of states working together voluntarily to develop K-12 assessments in English Language Arts / Literacy and Mathematics aligned to Oregon’s Common Core State Standards. These tests are called Smarter Balanced Assessments. Delivered online, these tests include questions that adapt to each individual’s performance and feature new “Performance Tasks” that mimic real world application of students’ knowledge and skills.
How are Smarter Balanced Tests different from the old tests?
Our students deserve better tests, ones that measure high-level skills rather than the ability to memorize facts or deduce answers from lists. More importantly, our students deserve tests that give them the opportunity to show what they know and can do. Smarter Balanced tests go above and beyond filling in multiple choice bubbles and actually showcase students’ thoughts and explanations for how they solve problems. Here’s how:
- Aligned to more challenging standards, Smarter Balanced tests better measure what skills and knowledge our students need to be successful in the 21st Century.
- Test questions come in many different forms and allow students to interact with graphs and type in their own responses in addition to selecting answers from traditional multiple choice lists. Essay questions ask students to use evidence from multiple sources of texts to create their arguments and explain their reasoning.
- Developed with experts to include tools and supports that address visual, auditory, and physical access barriers, Smarter Balanced tests are designed to meet the needs of all students.
How can I learn more about the new state tests?
Visit the Oregon Department of Education: Smarter Balanced Assessments page listed below and go to their drop down menu (upper right hand corner) to browse Smarter Balanced topics or go to Communication Resources to access family-friendly materials. You can also take the practice tests available on their Practice Test Site on the OAKS Portal for a firsthand look at the new test questions. Be sure to sign in as “Guest,” select a grade, and choose either an English or Mathematics test with “SB” beside it.
- High Standards, Better Assessments Fact Sheet (pdf)
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Smarter Balanced Assessment Program (pdf)
- Message About Participation in State Testing (pdf)
- Myths vs. Facts Surrounding Common Core and Smarter Balanced Assessments (pdf)
- Oregon Legislative Assembly House Bill 2655 (pdf)
- Smarter Balanced Opt-Out-Form 2016-17 (pdf)
- Annual Notice Smarter Balanced Assessments Opt-Out 2017-18 (pdf)
- Smarter Balanced and Higher Education Opportunities (pdf)
- Estándares más Altos, Mejores Evaluaciones (pdf)
- Estándares más Altos, Mentes más Fuertes (pdf)
- Aviso de 30 Días para los Exámenes Estatales 2016-17 (pdf)
- Notificatión Annual Sobre los Exámenes Estatales 2016-17 (pdf)
- Oregon Department of Education: Smarter Balanced Assessments
- YouTube: Achievement Standards – New Balance for College and Career Readiness